American Legion Post 124 was formed in 1919 and held their first four meetings in the Old Town Hall. The chapter then moved to the top of the Park’s Block using Red Man’s Hall. The next move would place the post in its permanent home – 38 Broad Street.

Built in 1873 by a local contractor Noah Strong. The building was originally designed as a residence. H. B. Smith owned the building for a short time before the Town of Westfield purchased it in 1909. From 1911 to 1917 it was used by the school department as the Boy’s Trade School.

In 1919 during Westfield’s 250th Anniversary celebration it was turned into a historic museum by the Town. While most rooms were used to display the furniture and articles of daily life of Westfield’s families, the main exhibit was called the “Museum Room”. How fitting it is that this area was dedicated to the relics of the City’s earliest connection with military conflicts. There were documents and mementos relating to the families of Westfield in connection to the French and Indian Wars, the American Revolution, and the War of 1812. Also included were swords and guns from the Civil War and souvenirs from the Spanish American War in Cuba. Also included were items from the recently ended World War I. The City’s first mayor, George Searle, in conjunction with the school department leased the building to the Legion. In 1928 Mayor Harry Putnam had the stable removed and the second floor made into a meeting hall. Post 124 finally purchased the site from the city in 1962.

This site has housed a school and a museum. Our work continues these services for the community by granting scholarships and maintaining the traditions and values of our military. And for all the years and changes the building has again become a residence. Though we may not be the type of family it was originally designed for we are a group united in our love of city and country.


MEMORIAL DAY has always been an outstanding occasion in this community. In addition to memorial events throughout Westfield and Hilltown area,  the grave of every veteran of any of the wars of the country are decorated on this National Holiday. Today, jointly with Veteran's Council, this tradition is being carried on. If one might attempt to prophecy, in an historical account, Westfield Post 124 will carry on this tradition to its last man to keep MEMORIAL DAY sacred to the memory of our war dead.

ARMISTICE DAY, now called VETERANS' DAY, originally marked the end of fighting in World War One. It is an important holiday on the calendar of Legionnaires everywhere and in the hearts of all veterans. It has been in Westfield. Annually the Post sponsored the Armistice Day Parade. An important tradition was established when the Post led in the memorial exercises at 11 o'clock on the morning of November 11, marking the exact hour of the cessation of hostility on the war fronts. Today, together with Veterans Council, Westfield's Post 124 solemnly observes this tradition.


Since its inception Westfield Post 124 has been a leader in this County in the area of graves registration, which has been incorporated by all the American Legion Posts. Grave Registration enables all interested parties to locate the site of the grave of each veteran. Westfield's Post 124 is honored to decorate burial lots in St. Mary's Cemetery. Twice each year, active members of Westfield Post 124 and volunteers, place a flag on each veteran's grave.


Westfield Post 124 sponsors various scholarships for the further education of our children. We also sponsor and financially assist many worthy community projects and programs initiated by the National American Legion.